User Interviews & Personas
For me to understand my competitors more, I knew I would need to reach out to the users who frequently used them, and from this I was able to conduct two interviews with individuals who use my competitors frequently. My objective was to understand the issues they faced, what they liked, what they disliked, and what they thought could be improved.
Insights from User Interviews:
- Users preferred to use my competitors mainly through their phones rather than a desktop or iPad/tablet, because the search, sort, and filtering options on their phones felt quicker.
- Users admitted that the most frustrating thing about finding recipes was the lack of options offered to help narrow down their search results.
- After manually typing in a recipe of choice, they want to include/exclude ingredients that they would want in a recipe was almost impossible for them to do so.
- Users explained that dietary restrictions, and common ones such as nuts and gluten was a painful process to try and exclude from recipes.
At this point, I decided to redefine my core features by enhancing the user's ability to filter and sort
- Cuisine Types: Mexican, Indian, Chinese, Japanese, Thai, Greek, Italian, British, etc
- Meal Types: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Snack, Dessert
- Diet Restrictions: Vegetarian, Vegan, Pollotarian
- Cook Times: 30 minutes or less, 30 minutes or more, 1 hour or more
- Allergens: Nuts, Gluten, shellfish, eggs, milk, soybean
- Ratings: 4 stars, 3 stars, 2 stars, 1 star
To create successful iOS application it is important to understand the types of people who'll use the app. To do this I created three user personas, based on the user research I conducted earluer, to which will allow me to perform quick testing of assumptions and prioritizing of features during the development process.
Matt is a highly active busines professional looking for healthy recipes to enjoy with his family. He's short on time and likes the keep his tastebuds guessing.
Tamara is a young adult whose just left the nest and travels far for work. She has limited funds and time, and needs to find recipes she can cook quickly after a long day at work.